Home   Newsletters   Events   Parish Council   Information   Gallery   Organisations   Businesses   File Archive
Neighbourhood Watch   Walks   Footpaths   Family History   Village History   Contact Us   Links   Forum   Search




 

The History of Ashton under Hill

Ashton cross

Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

"ASHTON-UNDER-HILL, a parish in the hundred of Tibaldstone, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles to the S. W. of Evesham, its post town. It lies in a fair valley, bounded on the N. by Bredon Hill, nearly 1,000 feet high, and commanding fine views over Gloucester, Cheltenham, and Tewkesbury. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Barbara."

[from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

The village of Ashton under Hill (population 800) is situated in south Worcestershire at the eastern end of Bredon Hill and overlooking the Vale of Evesham. It has a long history with evidence of Roman occupation.

The earliest surviving building is the parish church of St. Barbara which is entered through a Norman doorway. The church has been extended and reconstructed over the years and has a neat pinnacled tower of the 14th century and a chancel rebuilt in 1624. By the lych gate at the entrance to the churchyard is a 15th century stone cross with thatched cottages dating back to the 17th century on either side of the road.

A walk along the almost mile long village street (now called Beckford Road to the south and Elmley Road to the north) will take the visitor past a wide selection of the local rural architecture typical of both the Cotswolds and the Vale of Evesham.

Ashton House
Ashton from the Hill

In addition to timber-framed and stone cottages there is a black and white farmhouse dating back to the 15th century, an elegant stone manor house built before 1700, tall brick houses from around 1800, also many red-brick Victorian cottages and a scattering of 20th century houses in a variety of styles. The non-conformist chapel was built in the 1920s. The village also has two schools; the old Village school in the centre built in the 1860s with the more modern village hall attached, and at the north end the 1960s Middle School. The village pub ‘The Star Inn’ offers a warm welcome, traditional ales and home-cooked food.

Ashton is a favourite place for walkers because of its easy access to Bredon Hill with its range of public paths and scenic views. It’s a key part of Wychavon Way, a long distance path from Winchcombe to the River Severn. The village is also well known as the birthplace of Fred Archer, whose many books describe in vivid prose life on the farms and in the villages in past years, particularly the first part of the 20th century.

In earlier times Ashton was celebrated for its orchards and market gardening. Very little now remains although the traditions of the market gardener have in some measure been transferred to the current inhabitants who take a great pride in their gardens many of which are open to the public at the very popular annual Open Gardens weekend in June.

 

 


.

 

Useful Historical Links

Click here for more old photographs of Ashton.

Click here to find out more about the history of St Barbara's Church

Click here for information about Romanesque sculpture in the Parish Church of St. Barbara's, Ashton under Hill.

Click here to visit British History Online pages for Ashton under Hill (lots of historical information from Victoria County History)

Click here to read about the former railway station at Ashton under Hill and the branch of the Midland Railway which used to pass near the village.

Click here to visit our Family History page.

Click here to see a picture of an ancient settlement to the south of the village of Ashton under Hill, on the English Heritage website.

Click here to see a summary of listed buildings in Ashton under Hill - from the British Listed Buildings website